In order to get a permanent driver license, one has to hold a learner’s license for minimum 3 months. A learner’s license is valid for 6 months. If you too are thinking of getting a learner’s license, the following information will prove to be useful before you apply for one.
Minimum Age for Applying for a Learner’s License
You need to be:
- Of 16 years of age for motorcycles with engines of 50 cc or less and no gears only with a parent or guardian consent
- Of 18 years of age for motorcycles with gears and light motor vehicles
- And of 20 years of age for heavy motor/transport vehicles like trucks, lorries and buses.
Documents required for Applying for a Learner’s License
You need to provide age proof, residence proof as well as proof of citizenship when applying for a learner’s license.
Documents for Proof of Age
- School certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Certificate issued by a registered medical practitioner not below the rank of a Civil Surgeon that proves the age of the applicant
- An affidavit sworn by the applicant before an Executive Magistrate and or a First Class Magistrate citing correct age.
- PAN Card
- CGHS Card
Documents for Proof of Citizenship
- Birth Certificate
- School Leaving Certificate/Secondary School Certificate Showing Nationality/Place of birth
- Certificate of citizenship/nationality issued by magistrate or any other administrative officer
- Residency permit or a domicile certificate issued by state government.
- Grant of patta/lease of property by the central/state government.
- Refugee Registration card pertaining for the period of 1947-1950
- Certificate of SC/ST/OBC.
Proof of Residence
- Water Bill
- Voter’s card
- Ration Card
- Electricity Bill
- Telephone Bill (MTNL only)
- Aadhaar card
- LIC policy
- Payslip accompanied by a PF Receipt (In case of private sector employees)
- Property Ownership like, Registry, Power of Attorney etc.
- Post office or bank Passbook indicating residential address
- House tax receipt
- Certificate from employer in case of Government Servant.
- Marriage certificate issued by District Administration
- Income Tax Returns
- Residence Certificate issued by District Administration
Application for Learner’s License
- You need to visit the RTO of your city and fill the Form No. 1, 2, 3
- Attach 3 copies of your recent passport sized photograph
- Attach the proof of residence, age and citizenship
- Medical certificate on form 1-A in case of commercial licences
- Self declaration of medical fitness on Form 1, in case of private vehicle.
- Take along all the original copies of the documents whose attested copies you enclose along with the form.
- After the form is filled and verified, you will have to give a learner’s test.
- A color blindness test will also be conducted.
- You will have to write a learner test for 10 minutes with 10 multiple objective type questions
- You need to give minimum 6 correct answers to pass the test.
- Once you pass all the tests and your documents get verified, you will be given your learner’s license immediately or may have to wait for about 2 hours to get the laminated learner’s license.
As you can see, it is very easy to get a learner’s license if you have all the documents in place as well as pass the written and driving test satisfactorily.